• Testimonial 3
  • back to what you love doing
  • Testimonial 2
  • Diet  Lifestyle - Conception
  • Endemetreosis banner 01
  • Testimonial 1
  • Epilepsy
  • Hearing
  • health is wealth
  • Immunity
  • quality health
  • Home
  • Investors
  • Corporate Profile

Corporate Profile

Lenmed Investments Limited (Lenmed) is an established South African, PDI-owned* hospital group providing private patient healthcare in Africa through the management and ownership of hospitals and other related health services.

Lenmed’s roots reach back to 1984. In response to the community’s growing healthcare needs, the first hospital in the Group was founded in Lenasia, Gauteng as a 48-bed facility.

The following hospitals are currently 100% owned by Lenmed:

  • Lenmed Private Hospital in Lenasia, Gauteng, comprising 242 beds
  • Zamokuhle Private Hospital in Tembisa, Gauteng, comprising 36 beds
  • Daxina Private Hospital in Lenasia South, Gauteng, comprising 64 beds
  • Randfontein Private Hospital in Randfontein, Gauteng, comprising 174 beds
  • La Verna Hospital in Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal, comprising 138 beds
  • Shifa Hospital in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, comprising 133 beds

Lenmed also owns a 40% equity stake in Ethekwini Hospital and Heart Centre, situated in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal. Ethekwini is established as a 250 bed, ultra-sophisticated hospital, boasting the latest in medical technology coupled with digital integration, making it a paperless hospital. This hospital is one of the few facilities in the country where heart, lung and kidney transplants are performed.

As part of our African expansion strategy, Lenmed has developed a new 104-bed, state-of-the-art hospital in Maputo, Mozambique. Maputo Private Hospital is 60% owned by Lenmed, with the remaining 40% owned by local Mozambican partners. This hospital, which has been fully operational since September 2011, is the first truly multi-disciplinary private hospital in the country.

In October 2012, Lenmed acquired a 70% stake in the Bokamoso Private Hospital, a 200-bed, world-class private hospital located in Gaborone, Botswana. Under our guidance, this hospital has performed a remarkable turnaround both financially and operationally, and is reshaping the medical landscape of the country.

Early in 2013, the Group entered into an exciting new branch of healthcare – the provision of medical services to the mining industry. This was brought about through the 100% acquisition of Randfontein Private Hospital from one of the premier South African mining institutions, Harmony Gold.

The latest acquisition, Kathu Private Hospital in the Northern Cape, joined The Group in 2015. The first Lenmed Health facility in the Northern Cape, the hospital promises to proudly serve the community of Kathu as well as those in and between Upington and Kuruman. Lenmed Health owns 60% of the 25 bed hospital.

In June 2015 The Group began its expansion further into the Northern Cape by breaking ground in Kimberley, the soon-to-be home of the 100 bed Royal Hospital and Heart Centre due to open early 2017.

The Group now owns and/or manages over 1 350 registered hospital beds in South Africa, Mozambique and Botswana.

Lenmed Health’s initial strategy of sustained growth and expansion has consistently delivered results, making us one of the leading independent healthcare groups in the country. With a solid foundation on which to build, the Group intends to establish a greater presence throughout South Africa, as well as to expand further across key African countries. In addition to private hospitals, we are broadening our strategy to include the management of stand-alone oncology and ophthalmic centres, to cater for the increasing demands of the continent. The potential for growth in these markets is significant.

Each new venture that Lenmed embarks upon is influenced by our core values of operating hospitals in a transparent and ethical manner, while striving to achieve the highest standards of technology and medical care for the benefit of patients and stakeholders. Our strength lies in our ability to adapt our methods to suit local culture, ensuring the continued support and sustainability of our facilities.

Through our network of private hospitals in South Africa, Mozambique and Botswana, Lenmed provides quality healthcare services to our patients. Several of the Group’s doctors are leaders in their fields of specialisation, and are heads of departments at academic institutions in the various spheres of medicine.

At Lenmed, we consider our concern for our patients’ well-being as a priority. To this end, our employees are fully committed to providing that extra degree of compassion and warmth. We regard this personal attention as setting us apart from our competitors.

  • PDI-owned: refers to previously disadvantaged individuals